Rich, creamy chocolate mousse pie is a ideal treat for everyone who likes creamy cakes, and for all the chocolate mousse lovers! It’s really delicious – you just got to love it! So simple to make it’s silly!
For the crust:
- 9 ounces chocolate wafer cookies, crushed into fine crumbs
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
For the chocolate mousse:
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, broken into 1/2-ounce pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the whipped topping:
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- chocolate shavings or cinnamon, for garnish
To make the crust:
- Place the cookie crumbs and the butter in a medium bowl and stir until moistened. Press the mix into a 9-inch pie plate being sure to coat both – the bottom and the sides. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the bottom of the crust and refrigerate until firm, approximately 5-10 minutes.
To make the chocolate mousse filling:
- Heat 1-inch of water in the bottom half of a double boiler over medium heat. Place 6-ounces of semi-sweet chocolate in the top ½ of the double boiler. Firmly cover it with film wrap.
- Let the chocolate melt slowly, around 10 minutes.
- Set aside and stir until smooth. Leave it at room temperature until required.
- Place 1 1/2 cups heavy cream in the chilled mixer bowl fitted with a well-chilled balloon whip.
- Whisk on high speed until peaks form, about 1 minute. Set aside for a few minutes until needed.
- Whisk 3 egg whites in a large stainless-steel bowl, until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- Add a 1/4 of the whipped cream to the chocolate and beat rapidly and thoroughly. Next, put the egg whites, whisk slightly and place the remaining whipped cream.
- Gently fold all together but thoroughly.
- Spread the chocolate mousse filling onto the pie crust. Return the pie to the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour or overnight.
To make the whipped topping:
- In a medium bowl, beat the confectioners’ sugar and cream together with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings or cinnamon, if desired.
- Chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Slice with a warm sharp knife in order to make slicing easier.