This cake is a creamy light coffee and chocolate flavored cake, which is served semi-cold. You can prepare it without putting too much effort – you can buy basic sponge cake base and just make the filling – simple as that! It’s an ideal cake for everyone who likes the mix of coffee and chocolate! You can surprise your family for weekends, holidays, and other occasions with this easy and amazingly delicious coffee and dark chocolate cake.
- 1 basic pandispan / basic sponge cake base
For the syrup:
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 6 tablespoons water
For the filling:
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 20 grams icing sugar
- 110 g condensed milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 grams instant coffee, prepared
- 50 grams dark chocolate (72% +), melted
- Cocoa powder and/ or a few coffee beans
- Prepare the syrup, mixing the water and rum. Next, apply the sponge cake base on a baking sheet/parchment paper and wet it with the mixture based on water and rum. Place in the fridge for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the icing sugar into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream. Whisk until it reaches stiff peaks. Then, add the condensed milk and the egg yolk and mix until well combined. Add the instant coffee and mix again.
- Next, bring about 1-inch of water to a simmer in a pan. Set a heatproof bowl in the mouth of the pot, making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Allow the chocolate to melt in the bowl, and don’t forget to stir occasionally until it’s completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- While still warm, add to the whipping cream mixture. Blend once again until you get a nice chocolate mixture.
- With the help of a spatula, pour the cream on the base of the cake and place in the fridge for 6 hours – ideally overnight. You can serve this cake straight from the fridge – don’t worry – it won’t be ice cold – just semi-cold and creamy!
- Before serving, decorate with some cocoa powder and/ or a few coffee beans (if desired).