This double chocolate sandwich cake recipe is my modification of Jamie’s chocolate chai sandwich cake because it was not enough chocolate in him one according to my taste – and I really love chocolate. Rich, creamy, chocolatey…plus simple and delicious! Cooks in around 50 minutes plus cooling time. Try it! Here is the recipe:
- 250 grams’ dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 285 grams’ light brown sugar
- 280 grams’ butter, plus extra for greasing – room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 180 grams self-rising flour
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 150 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- white chocolate, to serve
- a pinch of salt
For the Chai syrup and buttercream:
- 5 chai tea bags
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pods
- A pinch of black pepper
- 85 grams’ light brown sugar
- 100 grams’ butter, at room temperature
- 100 grams’ cream cheese
- 200 grams icing sugar
- 100 grams’ dark chocolate
- First, prepare the chai syrup. Next, crack 4 cardamom pods and put them in a pan together with the chai tea bags and a pinch of black pepper. Pour water to cover and bring to the boil; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then, strain, remove the tea and spices and pour the liquid back into the pan. Add the light brown sugar in it and bring to a boil. Then, turn off the heat and simmer for 4 minutes, or just until you get a thick syrup. Remove and cool.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Next, grease and line two 8-inch/ 20 cm cake tins and leave aside. Now, prepare the sponge.
- Crack the remaining cardamom pods, take the seeds and apply them in a pestle and mortar (remove the shells). Next, grind the seeds into a fine powder and leave aside.
- Then, cut 250 grams’ chocolate into pieces and melt half in the microwave for 30 seconds on medium-high and leave to one side.
- In a bowl, cream the sugar and butter until pale. Add the eggs one at a time, fold in the almonds, then add the cocoa, flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom seeds.
- To finish, stir in the melted chocolate and milk until combined.
- Divide the batter between the tins. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until firm and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove and leave in the tins for 10 minutes, before taking them out to cool on a wire rack.
- In the meantime, finish the filling. Apply the butter in a bowl and add in 2 tablespoons of the chai syrup (or just enough to give it a nice flavor) and the icing sugar; combine until smooth. Melt 100 grams of dark chocolate in a heatproof dish (on a low heat or in a microwave) and apply in the mixture. Finally, fold in the cream cheese and mix to make a smooth buttercream.
- For the topping, melt together a knob of butter and the remaining chocolate plus in a heatproof bowl set over a low heat, until silky.
- Now, to assemble the sandwich, apply one of the cakes on a plate; spread it with the chai buttercream, then top with the 2nd cake. In the end, drizzle over the dark chocolate glaze. Before serving, shave over some white chocolate (if desired). Slice and serve.