Easy Italian cupcakes with Nutella buttercream are very popular in Italy right now and are a part of the Italian modern cuisine. I ate them twice during the fashion week in Milan in my cousin’s restaurant. I simply needed to have the recipe! And here it is:
For the chocolate fudge cupcakes:
- 120 grams (1 cup) plain flour (all-purpose)
- 225 grams (1 cup + 2 tablespoons) granulated sugar
- 35 grams (1/3 cup) cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (120g) unsalted melted butter, still warm
- 2 large eggs (free-range),at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) freshly brewed espresso orboiling water
For the Nutella buttercream:
- 150 grams (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 300 grams (3 cups) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 220 grams Nutella (or some other chocolate hazelnut spread of your choice)
- 4 tablespoons milk or double cream
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/ Gas Mark 4. Line a cookie tin with 10 to 12 paper liners and leave aside. In a mixing bowl, beat together the flour, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder, and sugar until well combined.
- Next, add the rum extract, eggs, and melted butter and whisk until incorporated. Put 1/2 the boiling coffee/water and continue to mix until combined.
- Add the remaining liquid and beat all over again. Equally divide the cupcake mixture between the paper liners, filling around 2/3 of the way up.
- Then, bake the cupcakes for 17-20minutes or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcake. Let them cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then slowly remove and apply on a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
To make the frosting:
- In a mixer bowl, add the softened butter and beat on a low speed in order to soften slightly.
- Next, put the icing sugar and beat all over again until the sugar and butter are incorporated. Then turn the speed up to medium and whisk for 5 to 7 minutes or until fluffy and creamy.
- Ensure you scrape down the sides of the blender halfway through to make sure even mixing.
- Now add the cream and Nutella and beat until combined.
To decorate the cupcakes:
- Fit a disposable piping bag with the icing. Pipe even swirls of the topping on each cupcake.
- Finish with a choice of chocolate sprinkles, chopped toasted hazelnuts or Ferrero Rocher chocolates.