An amazing spring summer dessert that will melt in your mouth! This flourless Italian chocolate citrus fruit cake is so easy and simple to prepare, which makes it a perfect quick treat. Plus, it’s gluten-free, well moist, and incredibly delicious! Try the following recipe:
- 1 orange
- 1 Key lime or Meyer lemon
- 1 red grapefruit
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups finely ground hazelnuts or store-bought hazelnut meal
- To garnish: powdered sugar/citrus fruit slices of your choice/mint leaves (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, apply the citrus fruits (orange, lime/lemon, and grapefruit) and pour water to cover them and heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot. Simmer until you get soft citrus fruits, around 90 minutes.
- When the oranges are cool enough to handle, cut them in half and then remove any seeds.
- Next, preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease an 8-in. round springform
- In a blender, apply the fruits and pulse until you get a smooth puree (you will get 1½ cups of orange puree). Place the remaining ingredients (except for the one for garnish) to the blender. Blend shortly then stir, and blend again, repeating until the mixture is combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Place in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool to room temperature. To garnish, dust powdered sugar over the cake and decorate with citrus fruit slices (if desired). Slice and serve.