This fudgy dark chocolate cake is the best fudge cake recipe ever! So decadent, so fudgy and fluffy – the ideal one-bowl dessert! It is so easy and simple to prepare; it will take you around 20 minutes to make it plus 45 to bake. Here is the recipe:
For the chocolate cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 100 grams (3.5 oz.) dark chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder*
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup boiling water mixed with 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup milk
For the chocolate ganache:
- 250 grams (8- ounces) semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease an 8-in. round cake pan with nonstick cooking oil spraying.
To make the chocolate cake:
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Apply oil, melted dark chocolate, egg, milk, and vanilla to the flour mixture and beat to combine. Add in the boiling water (with the cocoa powder), and whisk until glossy.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared pan. Place in the oven and bake for around 40 to 45 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out semi-clean with some amount of cake (but not runny batter) on the cake due to the fudgy texture.
- Then, remove from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting. In the meantime, prepare the chocolate ganache.
To make the chocolate ganache:
- In a saucepan, pour the heavy cream and heat over low for a few minutes (make sure that it does not boil or simmer it).
- When the cream is hot, remove the saucepan from the heat. Apply the chocolate chips immediately and stir to soften and melt the chocolate – stir with a wooden spoon or spatula, gradually mixing faster until you get a smooth, glossy and creamy ganache.
- Refrigerate for 60-90 minutes or until thick enough to spread. To finish, spread evenly over the dark chocolate cake. Slice and serve.