This Greek moist cake is so simple and easy to prepare. The amazing taste will take you straight in Greece in a small beautiful tavern near the beach. This cake is also known as Greek honey cake. Try it:
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup butter
- 4 medium eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F /180°C /Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour a 9-in. square pan. Set aside
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and lemon rind. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together ¾ cup sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, whisking just until incorporated. Add the walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Leave to cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the honey syrup:
- In a saucepan, combine water, honey, and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add in lemon juice, bring to a boil and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Cut the cake into diamond shapes. Spread the syrup over the cake. Allow setting for at least 3 hours before serving. Slice and serve.