This mojito angel cake with lime buttercream is an absolute stunner! Simple cooking – without baking, but really refreshing and delicious! A beautiful airy sponge soaked in sweet mojito syrup with creamy lime buttercream is the real jam for this season! Try it:
For the cake layers:
- 1 store-bought angel food cake
For the mojito sugar syrup:
- 170 grams’ light muscovite sugar
- 4 limes (2 thinly sliced for the top)
- 60 ml white rum
- a medium-sized bunch of mint, torn or cut into very small pieces
For the lime buttercream:
- 180 grams’ butter, room temperature
- 380 grams icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- Frist, using a serrated knife, carefully remove the top the cake. Then, cut the angel cake in half to get 2 layers. Set aside.
- To make the mojito syrup, in a small saucepan add the sugar, lime juice, 40 ml water, and white rum. Heat over low heat and stirring frequently bring to a simmer, then boil for one minute. Remove, add the mint leaves and lime zest, and stir briefly to incorporate. Let the syrup cool at room temperature for 15 minutes then refrigerate and let it sit for 2 hours so the flavors can infuse.
- When cooled, use a strainer to strain the syrup. Next, using a pastry brush to brush it over the tops of the cake layers, repeating every until you’ve used up 2/3 of the syrup.
- To make the butter icing, using an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth, then whisk in the icing sugar, lime juice, lime zest, and vanilla extract. Apply more icing sugar if you need to.
- Smooth a layer of icing over the top of the 1st cake layer, then place the 2nd layer on top. Smooth the remaining icing all over the cake. Decorate with lime slices and/or zest. Slice and serve.