This strawberry mousse is so simple and so rich, creamy, and delicious! Italians generally have simple cooking techniques – but they are cooking with a lot of passion and amore! Here is the recipe:
Servings 6 cupcakes
- 1 cup strawberries, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 5 tablespoons water, divided
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix 1 tablespoon sugar and chopped strawberries in the bowl of a food processor/blender, and toss lightly. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then process until smooth.
- Add 2 tablespoons water in a large bowl, and place the gelatin. Mix well, and let stand for 3-4 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan, put 6 tablespoons sugar, a pinch of salt, and the remaining 3 tablespoons water. Heat over medium; bring to a boil. Cook around 4 minutes, or until a candy thermometer registers 240°. Combine egg whites with the gelatin mixture; whisk with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Slowly add remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, whipping at high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly pour hot sugar syrup into egg white mixture, whipping first at medium speed and then at high until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla and mix shortly.
- Add cream in a large bowl; whisk with a mixer at high until stiff peaks form. Slightly fold 1/4 of egg white batter into whipped cream. Then, fold in the remaining egg white batter.
- Fold in strawberry mix. Spoon around 1/2 cup mousse into each of six dessert glasses; place in the fridge and chill for about 1-2 hours (or until set).