This strawberry season you can try this no-bake creamy cold strawberry and yogurt cake or torta fredda alle fragole e yogurt, which – in Italy – is usually served semi-cold. This weekend, surprise your family or friends with this easy, beautiful and delicious cake. Here is the recipe:
- 1 sponge cake base/ basic pandispan
For the syrup:
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons strawberry liqueur (or rum)
For the filling:
- 350 grams strawberries – plus around 70-90 grams for garnish (you can use fresh or frozen, defrosted)
- 250 grams Greek yogurt (if you like you can use the same amount of strawberry yogurt if you want to get more intensive strawberry taste and pink color)
- 300 ml heavy cream
- 20 grams confectioners’ sugar
- 70 grams condensed milk
- 1 egg yolk
- Strawberries – whole and/or slices (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the water and strawberry liqueur (or rum) together. Then, apply the sponge cake base on a pan. Using a spoon, wet it with the strawberry liqueur/rum and water mix. Refrigerate for about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat the sugar and the heavy cream. Whisk until it reaches stiff peaks. Put the condensed milk and egg yolk and beat until well combined. Add the yogurt mix well again.
- In a blender/food processor, blend the strawberries. Next, add them to the batter. Using a spoon, mix all over again.
- Then, spread the batter onto the sponge cake base. Slice some strawberries into halves and decorate the cake with the slices (if desired).
- Refrigerate for about 5 hours (or ideally overnight). You can serve this cake straight from the fridge – it won’t be ice cold – but semi-cold and creamy!